Find The Right Acne Treatment For You
Posted by Cedars Dermatology, 1st November 2019
Acne can affect our lives in several ways. Not only does it make skin feel oily, hot and occasionally painful, but it can affect the way we look – causing redness and even scarring if left untreated. And, it’s a condition that isn’t just limited to teenagers – it can develop in adulthood too. In fact, we estimate that around 20% of women will develop adult acne, and about 8% of men – and it can persist well into your 50s.
Acne is usually associated with fluctuating hormones, as these can trigger your oil glands to produce more oil and end up blocking pores. Sometimes it runs in families, but it affects most people at some point in their life – we estimate around 80% of people. It can vary between little red bumps, to pus-filled pustules, to cysts.
Here at Cedars Dermatology, we have three London skin clinics that specialise in treating all different types of skin conditions, including acne treatment. Our Northwood clinic is one of our convenient centres, offering several ways to tackle your acne. These include:
- Topical acne treatments – these are gels and creams that are applied straight onto skin
- Antibiotics – daily pills to help clear and manage acne, taken for a required period
- Contraceptive pills and hormone-modulating tablets – these help manage hormone levels, which can cause flare-ups
- Isotretinoin capsules – used in extreme cases where the acne isn’t responding to treatment
- Chemical peels – again for extreme cases, these can help clear the skin
- Photodynamic therapy – uses a light-activating cream to reduce oil production and associated spots
If you no longer have ‘active’ acne but are troubled by scarring from past outbreaks, we can help. Our laser surgery treatments can help reduce the appearance of these scars, as well as help reduce excess pigmentation and help with skin resurfacing and tightening.
Whatever acne treatment you choose, when you book in with us, we’ll have an expert Dermatologist assess your skin and make treatment recommendations. We’ll then agree a treatment plan with you, but bear in mind that it takes many weeks, or even months, to see results. Patience, willpower and commitment are, in a way, part of the treatment plan.
As our name suggests, here at Cedars Dermatology, dermatology is at our heart. Our team of skilled and experienced Consultant Dermatologists and Therapists are committed to looking after you and your skin, and we’re confident we’ll find the right treatment – and get the right results – for you. If you have concerns over your acne or acne scars, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us and see an acne Dermatologist today.